Memorial Day weekend is upon us and you know what that means? Lots of time spent outdoors! Camping, campfires, BBQ’s, beers (and don’t forget the Bowser Beer) and much more! While this holiday weekend will surely be filled with lots of smiles and good times it is very important to remember to keep Fido safe. Holiday weekends such as this one are normally some of the highest risk times for something to happen to your beloved fur baby.
Here are a few simple tips for Memorial Day pet safety:
1. Watch the Table Scraps – Many of us will be grilling out and spending time with loved ones. However, not all people food is good for your dog. Be sure you clearly communicate with all of your guests to avoid feeding your pup. Be diligent about this. Many foods safe for humans can actually be deadly to dogs.
2. Be Watchful Around Water – You would never leave a small child unsupervised around a pool or lake, right? Well, your pup is no different. Always keep a mindful eye on your dog when near a lake or pool. Not all pups are excellent swimmers and accidents can/do happen.
3. Insect Repellent – Protect your dog from nasty bug bites by stopping in for some dog-safe insect repellent. Never use human insect repellent on your dog unless you have talked to your veterinarian and are sure it is safe to use.
4. Hydrate – It’s summer and it’s hot! Don’t forget to supply your pup with plenty of cool water throughout the day.
5. Identification – Accidents happen. Be prepared in case your pup gets spooked and runs off or wonders away from you. Make sure your dog has an identification tag so they may be easily returned if lost.
Enjoy the holiday weekend – have fun! But, remember your dog is an important part of your family, so be sure they are safe!